Here's Dr. Michael Burke’s list of what he considers the 10 most important articles from Journal Club for the past 12 months.
Here's Dr. Michael Burke’s list of what he considers the 10 most important articles from Journal Club for the past 12 months:
1. Short-course treatment for outpatient pneumonia-how long should it be?
Greenberg D, et al. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33(2):136-142 (April 2014)
2. Tobacco smoke exposure tied to readmission in asthmatics
Howrylak JA, et al. Pediatrics. 2014;133(2):e355-e362 (April 2014)
3. Iron supplementation is effective treatment for restless leg syndrome
Amos LB, et al. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2014;53(4):331-336 (May 2014)
4. Having a TV in the bedroom leads to excess weight gain
Gilbert-Diamond D, et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(5):427-434 (July 2014)
More Journal Club: Are teen users of e-cigarettes at increased risk for substance use?
5. Does smoking e-cigarettes cut down conventional tobacco use among teens?
Dutra LM, et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(7):610-617 (September 2014)
6. Parental supervision enhances adolescents’ prelicense driving skills
Mirman JH, et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(8):764-771 (October 2014)
7. Antiviral compound shows promise as therapy for RSV
DeVincenzo JP, et al. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(8):711-722 (October 2014)
8. Acid suppression therapy leads to gastric bacterial overgrowth
Rosen R, et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(10):932-937 (December 2014)
9. Use of some antibiotics in infancy associated with early childhood obesity
Bailey LC, et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(11):1063-1069 (January 2015)
10. Placebo seems to ease nighttime coughing in children
Paul IM, et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(12):1107-1113 (February 2015).
Read complete summaries and Dr Burke’s commentaries on these articles at ContemporaryPediatrics.com/Journal-Club
Ms Freedman is a freelance medical editor and writer in New Jersey. Dr Burke, section editor for Journal Club, is chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at Saint Agnes Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. The editors have nothing to disclose in regard to affiliations with or financial interests in any organizations that may have an interest in any part of this article.