Pass these Halloween safety tips out to parents!

October 5, 2005

Homemade trick-or-treat treats are nice but unless you know the maker well, don't let your child eat such goodies. That's one bite-size piece of Halloween advice that parents will appreciate hearing from you-and there is more for you to pass along.

Homemade trick-or-treat treats are nice but unless you know the maker well, don't let your child eat such goodies. That's one bite-size piece of Halloween advice that parents will appreciate hearing from you-and there is more for you to pass along.

Sensible parental oversight of a young trick-or-treater can reduce the risk of a poisoning injury. The list of safety tips that you can offer during a routine visit includes these cautions:

  • Have a responsible adult accompany your child when going trick-or-treating

  • Allow your child to go only to homes of people known to you

  • Use non-toxic makeup to paint faces and body parts

  • Teach your child not to consume food items, drinks, or treats that are offered until an adult has thoroughly checked them

  • Throw away spoiled, unwrapped, or suspicious treats

  • Make sure items that can cause choking, such as hard candy, are given only to a child of appropriate age

  • Do not let your child give treats to pets; chocolates and raisins may be poisonous to animals

  • Discard foil and cellophane candy wrappers properly to prevent your child (and pets) from choking on them

  • Keep all medicines out of your child's reach, and teach your child that medicine is not candy

Source: The New Jersey Poison Control Center